Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Caring for Boris and the World

This morning, Boris took his heart worm pill like he does every 17th of the month. Last night, he threw up and I gave him an antacid. On August 9th, he'll have a microchip implanted between his shoulders coded with Kola's and my contact information if, God forbid, he gets lost and ends up in a shelter somewhere. A while back he put on a few pounds and our vet wrote a prescription for him to receive diet dog food that we paid a fortune for.

Boris gets the best health care, plenty of exercise, playtime, and herding training so that he doesn't get bored. I work for the US Fund for UNICEF so every day I juxtapose planning Boris' care along side trying to raise funds for children who, for the most part, don't have the very basic clean water to drink, or food to eat, let alone a school to go to. Sometimes they're sick; sometimes they're very sick. They've lost their homes due to war, natural disasters, or poverty. Some of the children are orphaned, and those who aren't have parents that care deeply for them and try their very best to keep them healthy. It's not unusual to for a mother to walk for days taking her child to a clinic when they hear that a doctor will be available.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, is that Boris gets better care millions of children worldwide. In fact, daily 26,000 children die from preventable and/or curable diseases. My dog is my responsibility, and I see to it that he's taken care of. I have the means. Besides, I love my Boris! I know that the parents of the children that aren't being taken care absolutely would do the same for their children given the means to do so. But, through no fault of their own, they can't. Here's where we come in.

If you can, I would encourage visit UNICEF's website (unicefusa.org) and learn about all the wonderful ways in which this organization is working so that every child has the opportunity for a healthy and happy life. Maybe after viewing the site, you'll be inspired to share your good fortune with those who are opportunity-challenged (how's that for a made up PC label!) and it doesn't have to be with UNICEF; there are plenty of worthy causes that support needy families (and other causes) abroad and here in the US. Boris regularly gives to the ASPCA; well, I give to the ASPCA in honor of Boris.

Okay, now I've cleared my guilt (well, not entirely) for spoiling my dog. From now on I promise to deliver more funny stories about my smarter-than-smart German Shepherd Dog, Boris.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, this is such a heartfelt entry. Your message is one of care and compassion and is extremely important for each one of us to hear.

Wayne and I have supported UNICEF for many, many years and are grateful to have been able to do so. I'm so happy to now know someone who works for UNICEF and that the someone is you!

Over the years we've given to several humane groups, but recently we've begun to donate to the ASPCA. We will think of you and Boris the next time we make a contribution.

Kristi said...

My heart gets so heavy when I think of all the children who are suffering out there. It is nice to know that we can make a difference.