Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The long goodbye or why I'm late every morning for work

It begins when I'm in the shower. He bursts through the bathroom door to get in and lay beside the tub. It's at that point - when I'm in the shower - he catches on that I'm going to leave him for the day to go to work. His laying by the tub is somewhat dramatic. His body language is telling me, "I have to soak up every second of my time with you. . . before. . . you. . . sniff, sniff, sniff. . .From the time I'm in the shower until I leave he's mopey.

Once I'm out of the shower and working on the next phase of getting ready, he sees this as an opportunity to somehow try to convince me that I'd have more fun if I stayed home. He'll bring me his ball and set it at my feet so that I'll either throw it or kick for him to chase. He'll do that a couple of times until I leave the bathroom to prove to me that this activity is worth calling in sick for. Sadly, it has never worked, but that doesn't deter him.

Occasionally he'll steal something he knows he shouldn't have (like Kola's shoe or the TV remote. A couple of times he stole my glasses.) in an effort to get my attention. And he's smart. He'll grab the forbidden object, walk a few steps, then look back at me to make sure I see what he has. When I do notice and register a look of shock, he trotts off so that I'll chase him! It works, too. I'll chase him to retrieve the object before he destroys it or hurts himself or both. See, I said he was smart.

Finally, though, he realizes that as much I'd like to stay and play with him, I have to go. Someone has to bring home the chow and he has yet to send out resumes. So he walks to our bedroom, with head hung low, leaps on the bed resigns himself to being alone, and taking a long nap, until the dogwalker gets there.

As I leave for the day, I'll say goodbye to him. I'll scratch him behind the ears and remind him that he has task of minding the house while we're away. When I do this he turns his face away as if to say, "go ahead; just leave me" and dishes out a little guilt with his statement.

I do feel a little guilty, but I'm going to make it up to him. This weekend we're doing his absolutely most favorite thing in the world to do - sheep herding! Saturday and Sunday will be spent at Outback Farms in New Jersey at a clinic to hone his instinctive skills in sheep herding. So say tuned. . .

Lesson learned: Instead of pining for loved ones that are away, see it as an opportunity to take a long nap.


1 comment:

Kristi said...

This is so sad! It's amazing how smart dogs are. Dogs are people too. :) Have fun at the clinic...that should be interesting.